Congress and New York State have proclaimed the entire month of February to be Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Month. The NYS Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence (OPDV) invites you to join us in helping to raise awareness on this important issue by encouraging statewide youth, families, schools, law enforcement communities, government agencies, elected officials, civic organizations and other interested groups to show support for the organizations and individuals who provide critical advocacy and services and assistance to victims. Below are links to some pages that provide information and ideas. Be creative and spread awareness!
- Proclamation (printer-friendly/pdf)– Governor Andrew M. Cuomo has officially proclaimed February 2012 to be Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Month in New York State.
- What is Teen Dating Violence? – OPDV has launched an entire website and Facebook page dedicated to teen dating violence and dating abuse. Visit Respect Love, Love Respect to read more about the issue, ways to identify it, and how to help. And please “like” the Facebook page.
- Web banner – download the Respect Love, Love Respect web banner announcing Teen Dating Violence Awareness & Prevention Month. Put it on your website, attach it to your electronic signature, or send it to a colleague.
- “This Isn’t Love” Teen Dating Violence Campaign – OPDV’s campaign is designed to encourage teens to recognize abusive behavior and to learn more about it. You can help by downloading, printing and displaying the poster shown below.
Low resolution pdf 8.5 x 11 - 95kb
Medium resolution pdf 8.5 x 11 - 141kb
High resolution pdf 8.5 x 11 - 508kb
- Awareness Activities for Schools and Communities --There
are many ways in which schools or youth programs can raise awareness of
teen dating violence. See a listing
of suggestions or come
up with your own!
- How Big is the Problem of Teen Dating Violence?—Learn more about the scope of teen dating violence. Read statistics in the Teen Dating Violence Fact Sheet (printer-friendly/pdf).